Saturday, October 9, 2010

Review: The Clear Skin Diet (Logan, Treolar)

I received The Clear Skin Diet from Inter-library Loan Wednesday and read it through in a night (now if only I could do that in my research!).  It's comprehensive, clearly written for a lay person, thoroughly researched (not that this is a good measure, but just to give you an idea, the bibliography is 18 pages long).  The authors explain acne as a skin process aggravated by other problems in the body, particularly nutritional deficiencies and how to rectify them.  They treat acne as something to be concerned about beyond pure vanity, citing correlations (sometimes anecdotal, sometimes drawn out of logical extrapolation, sometimes supported by hard science) between acne severity and digestive problems while young, and disease in old age.  They also explore the link between acne and stress - validating the link and providing stategies to help.  While I don't want to rewrite the book here (it's an easy-to-follow argument and that would be breaking copyright law), it's an interesting read.  The suggestions made are well in line with the diet I imposed upon myself (and have been writing about since):  I will be adding a regular probiotic supplement (to be taken before each main meal), fish oil capsules (since good fish isn't readily available where I live, with each main meal), and a Vitamin C, Zinc, and Vitamin A supplement to my regimen (temporarily, once a day).

No comments:

Post a Comment