Monday, September 27, 2010

FDA GMO Labeling Update

According to the Washington Post, the genetically modified salmon up for approval will not have to be labeled as genetically modified.  If this goes to market (and given the FDA's track record, it probably will), I will not eat salmon I can't verify is GMO-free.  Essentially, I'm going to make my own wild-caught salmon sushi and, when eating sushi out, not eat the salmon.  Also, I will have to verify any fish oil supplements I may want to take.  It's extra-ordinarily frustrating - regardless of what you think about GMO's environmental impact.  Consumers should still be given enough information that they can make a choice about whether or not they want to ingest GM food.  Extra labeling is only confusing if you make it confusing (see the high fructose corn syrup naming controversy and you'll see what I mean).

No comments:

Post a Comment